COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA
â I studied literature before coming to CEU. But
I wanted more of a political and social lens, and
the Gender Studies Department has provided that
for me. I think the way studies are handled allows
the space to develop your own ideas through the
strengths of the faculty as well as the creative
environment of CEU. The faculty have varied
backgroundsâsome are anthropologists, some
are sociologists, political scientists, historians,
philosophersâand that makes for a wider range
of topics that can be covered. Here we have
a similar investment in feminism and we
collectively strive to advance society.
It has been a very empowering experience. â
Merit-based Scholarships Available
Central European University is an English-language, graduate university located in Budapest, Hungary. With students from some 100 countries and faculty from more than 40, CEU offers an extraordinary student/faculty ratio of 8:1. CEU is accredited in the U.S. and Hungary.
CEU’s Department of Gender Studies attracts students from a range of disciplines in the social sciences and humanities, and focuses on integrative and comparative approaches to gender studies. Programs aim to critically examine past and present developments related to gender in culture and society. The curriculum in the department emphasizes interdisciplinary scholarship, such as gender and post-socialist studies, nationalism, queer theory, cultural studies, transnationalism, and international political movements.
- Master of Arts in Gender Studies (One Year)
- Master of Arts in Critical Gender Studies (Two Years)
- Master of Arts in Gender Studies: Womenâs and Gender Specialization (GEMMA) (Two Years)
- Master of Arts in European Womenâs and Gender History (MATILDA) (Two Years)
Selected Areas of Research
- Globalization and postcolonialism
- Gender, nation, and state
- Gender and science
- Feminist theories and epistemology
- Womenâs history
- Gender, socialism, and postsocialism
- Queer theory
- Labor market gender inequalities
- Bioethics, biopolitics, and posthumanism
- Cultural studies
- Womenâs literature
Scholarships and Fellowships
- CEU is committed to attracting talented students from around the worldâa commitment backed by generous financial aid. The University provides a variety of scholarships and research grants for which applicants from any country are eligible to apply.
- CEU Master’s Degree Fellowships (full or partial) include a full tuition scholarship (with a value of â¬11,000 to â¬12,000), housing in the CEU Residence Center, health insurance, and a monthly stipend to cover living expenses.
- CEU Master’s Degree Tuition Scholarships (full or partial) cover between 50 and 100 percent of tuition expenses up to â¬12,000 per year.
- Direct Student Loans and Canada Student Loans are available for eligible U.S. and Canadian students.
- External Scholarships and Financial Aid Programs administered through CEU include Erasmus Mundus scholarships, Erasmus research grants, and other private and public fellowships and scholarships.
Application Deadline | January 23, 2014 For GEMMA and MATILDA, see also www.gender.ceu.hu
To apply, please click the More Information button below.