The Management Science group within Kent Business School invites applications for a three-year EPSRC-funded PhD studentship.Â The scholarship starts on 1/10/13 and includes tuition fees and a maintenance grant of Â£13,590 (at 2012/13 rates)
Due to funding, this studentship competition is only open to applicants who have settled status in the UK and no restrictions on how long they can stay in the country.Â In addition, applicants must have been resident in the UK for three years prior to the start of their scholarship. Other EU students may apply on a fees only basis.
Candidates must hold the following qualifications:
- A Distinction at MSc level in a quantitative subject (see project descriptions for more details).
- Exceptional candidates with First at undergraduate level in a quantitative subject (see project descriptions for more details) will also be considered.
- Score of 7.0 in IELT test for students who are non-native English speakers and who did not gain their academic qualifications in the UK.
The successful candidate will work on the formulation and solution of optimisation models applied to river infrastructure mitigation under the supervision of Dr Jesse OâHanley. Potential areas of research include mixed integer linear programming, stochastic and multi-objective optimisation, decomposition methods and heuristic algorithms.
Candidates are required to have an excellent undergraduate Honours degree in a quantitative subject such as Operational Research, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering or a closely allied discipline. Good English communication skills, both oral and written, are essential. Computer programming ability in C/C++, Java or similar is highly desirable. Knowledge of optimisation techniques (in particular integer programming) and/or optimisation software is desirable but not essential.
How to Apply
Applicants should apply online as part of Kent Business School PhD programme application.Â A research proposal is not needed for this scheme but applicants should ensure that their application is complete (and references have been received by Kent Business School) by the deadline, as follows:
- A short statement in support of your application (maximum 500 words)
- Official transcripts of MSc and undergraduate degrees
- Two academic references from an institution where you have studied
- English qualifications obtained (if relevant)
Applicants must apply for this scholarship online by 5pm (GMT) on Sunday 14 July 2013 and the application must be complete with all references also received by this date.Â Â