School of Business PhD Studentships for September 2013
School of Business
The School of Business is pleased to offer a maximum of two fully funded +3 PhD studentships (fees and bursary) for full time doctoral research in Accounting, Finance or Business Management and one fully funded +3 PhD studentship (fees and bursary) for full time doctoral research in Economics. Applicants are sought from exceptionally well-qualified individuals with research interests in our areas of research.
Applicants are expected to have a good undergraduate degree and have successfully completed an MSc degree from a UK University or have comparable qualifications from another recognised higher education institution.
The areas of research in the School of Business are outlined at:
Accounting, Finance and Business Management: http://www.dundee.ac.uk/accountancy/research/
Economic Studies: http://www.dundee.ac.uk/econman/research
Specific staff research interests at: http://www.dundee.ac.uk/business/research/
The award of a studentship will be based on a competitive process and is subject to the availability of funding. If awarded, it would be a full-time studentship (funded for a duration of three years, subject to satisfactory progress) covering the tuition fees, and a maintenance allowance. The maintenance allowance is currently Â£13,200 per annum (this includes a teaching commitment). In addition, there may be support for conference attendance and additional research expenses. The successful applicant will become a Graduate Teaching Assistant and is expected to take up teaching duties equivalent to 100 hours of undergraduate tutorials per academic year as well as performing other teaching related duties such as examination invigilation and marking.
As part of a large, growing and supportive research community within the School, the successful candidate will also benefit from being a member of the wider University research community. Through Generic Skills Dundee, an extensive and targeted skills training is provided for research students (http://www.dundee.ac.uk/opd/). The successful candidate will be joining a lively community of research students and staff, where doctoral students are given great academic and administrative support and are an integral part of the School’s research culture.
The University of Dundee (http://www.dundee.ac.uk/admissions/tada/worldwide.htm)
We are an established university with a progressive and dynamic outlook. Our international reputation attracts top-class students and academics from across the world, with well over 100 countries represented in the University community. The University of Dundee is:
- Ranked in the World’s Top 200 Universities, and in Europe’s Top 75 by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2011/12.
- Ranked in the World’s Top 100 Universities for Innovation, Research Influence and International Mix by Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2011/12.
- Ranked in the World’s Top 200 Universities by the QS World University Rankings 2011/12.
- anked Top 5 in the UK for Overall Satisfaction in the latest International Student Barometer (ISB) survey of EU and international students.
Please apply through UKPASS. Details of application procedures can be found via the APPLY button below.
Applicants will need to provide the following with their application:
- Academic transcripts in English, for both the undergraduate and the postgraduate MSc degrees.
- Two academic references
- PhD research proposal a brief description of the intended research, identifying and motivating the main research questions in the context of the existing literature and specifying the intended research methodology â whether theoretical or empirical research is to be undertaken and, if the latter, what dataset and techniques are envisaged to be appropriate.
- English language proficiency certificate (if applicable) for students whose first language is not English; the minimum requirement is IELTS 7.0 with no sub-test less than 6.5 or equivalent.
- CV (optional)
Before you apply you are strongly advised to discuss your application with either Dr. Theresa Dunne (Accounting, Finance, Business Management; firstname.lastname@example.org) or Professor Hassan Molana (Economics;email@example.com).
The closing date for the receipt of applications is 7 July 2013.