To provide scholarships for African-American students enrolled in a Registered Nursing program in any accredited school of nursing in the five-county Greater Kansas City metropolitan area (Jackson, Clay and Platte Counties in Missouri; and Johnson and Wyandotte Counties in Kansas) and in St. Joseph, Missouri.
The students eligible for assistance must be:
- Be of African-American heritage;
- Enrolled in a Registered Nursing Program at any accredited school of nursing in the five-county Greater Kansas City area or St. Joseph, MO;
- Show demonstrated financial need;
- Continue to attend classes as a full-time student; and
- Submit the scholarship application provided online by the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation.
The online application form must include:
- Written essay regarding why you chose the field of nursing and what this award would mean to you;
- Cumulative transcript that includes GPA;
- Recent picture of yourself (a passport picture is preferred);
- Two (2) letters of reference from persons familiar with your academic performance; and
- One (1) letter of reference from a non-related person who can comment on your maturity, motivation and commitment.
Scholarships will be awarded on an annual basis and disbursed in equal payments in January and August. Checks are made co-payable to the school of attendance and the recipient and mailed directly to the school.
Scholarship recipients may re-apply for this scholarship annually if they continue to meet the eligibility criteria stated above and submit a new application by the deadline each year.
How to apply:
- Click here to access the application.
- Create a new AwardSpring user account or login.
- Complete all APPLICATION sections.
- You will be matched to the scholarship(s) you are eligible for based on your answers to the QUALIFICATION QUESTIONS.
- Complete all FOLLOW-UP questions in the AwardSpring DASHBOARD.