Paid PhD Positions in Strategy & Entrepreneurship
Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM)
ERIM is the research institute of management at Erasmus University Rotterdam, founded by Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University (RSM) and Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), both of which excel in their research and teaching programmes. The level and international character of their research and teaching programmes has put both schools at the forefront of academic excellence.
ERIM distinguishes itself by high level and international character of its research and has repeatedly been ranked among top 3 research institutes in Europe. ERIMâs key aims are top quality academic research with impact both on academia and managerial practice, and the advancement of international academic careers and high-level support for both research and doctoral education. ERIM is accredited by the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW). For more information about ERIM please visit www.erim.eur.nl.
About the PhD Positions
Each year ERIM initiates and starts a substantial number of new and internationally oriented PhD research projects. The focus is on pioneering and innovative research in the field of Management and Business Research.
ERIM distinguishes five areas of research in management and offers fully funded PhD research projects in the following fields: Business Processes, Logistics and Information Systems (LIS), Organisation (ORG), Marketing (MKT), Finance & Accounting (F&A), and Strategy & Entrepreneurship (S&E).
The Strategy & Entrepreneurship programme focuses on strategic renewal and firm performance. While drivers of strategic renewal have received ample attention, we know far too little about how these drivers enact deep-seated change in organisational scripts, routines, and structural blueprints.
The research programme addresses these lacunae by identifying four concrete areas of strategic renewal through which corporations are currently seeking to restore competitive equilibria and tilt them in their favour: corporate entrepreneurship, new managerial roles and organisational forms, corporate governance and competitiveness, and global strategy.
ERIM currently offers following PhD projects within its PhD projects within its PhD projects within its S&E research programme:
- Cross-Border Mergers & Acquisitions: how to make them work and when to avoid them?
- Economic behaviour, in particular entrepreneurship, and psychological markers
- PhD in Strategic Management and Entrepreneurship
- Search strategies for organizational action: antecedents, processes and outcome
- Top Management Team, Middle Management & Firm Strategic Renewal
For a list and detailed description of all current ERIM PhD Vacancies, please visit ERIM website.
More information about ERIM PhD in Management programme can be found on www.erim.eur.nl/phd.
Conditions of employment
Our PhD projects are fully funded and salaried positions, meaning that appointed PhD candidates are employees (promovendus) of Erasmus University Rotterdam. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO-NU). Starting monthly salary is â¬ 2083 in year 1, â¬ 2427 in year 2, â¬ 2542 in year 3, and â¬ 2664 in the final year (all mentioned figures are gross and fixed amounts). Successful candidates are appointed on a full-time basis for a total of 4 years (or 3 years in case the candidate possesses a relevant research masterâs degree). Preferred starting date of PhD appointment is 1st September 2014.
Working at the Erasmus University Rotterdam means working in a professional environment, where development is encouraged through an active career and mobility policy. The Erasmus University Rotterdam highly appreciates flexibility and offers a 38-hour workweek, flexible working hours, maternal/paternal leave, holiday allowance, end year bonus etc. Moreover, the University has a company childcare scheme, possibilities to participate in a terms of employment option model, company savings program and life insurance schemes and favourable collective insurance schemes. Employees can also make use of facilities such as sports facilities and library. For more information about the employment conditions please click here.
Furthermore, PhD candidates also benefit from the state-of-the- art research facilities and financial support programme (ERIM Support Programmes – ESP), which ERIM set up for a wide range of research-related activities like conference participation and visit, international job market visit, external courses, scientific and educational literature, working visit to international supervisor, international research study/visit, etc.
To be considered for a PhD position in Management at ERIM, candidates are expected to have:
- MSc, MA or MPhil degree in business or economics, or from related fields such as psychology, sociology, engineering, mathematics, etc. (depending on PhD project)
- Excellent results in their first degree/graduate study.
- Explicit interest in and motivation for scientific research.
- A GMAT or GRE test is required for all entering students. The test results should not be older than five years and an indication of the required score is 85%.
- TOEFL or IELTS test results; ERIM requires a TOEFL score of at least 100 on the internet based test and 600 on the paper based test. For IELTS there is a minimum score of 7.5. The language test results should not be older than two years.
- In addition to these formal requirements, candidates for the Programme are selected on the basis of their CVs, academic references, and interview(s) with the potential supervisor(s)
How to apply
All applicants are required to follow our online application process via the Apply button below. The application deadline is 15 January 2014.
Additional information can be obtained from: