This is exciting news for International students intending to study in a Canadian University.
The Ontario government launched what they called “Trillium initiative” otherwise called OTS for Ontario Trillium Scholarship to attract high calibre international students to do their PhD studies in Ontario. Each OTS is valued at $40,000 annually for as many as four years of study.
The interesting thing about this scholarship is that it pays for your living expenses and you are still allowed to accept other scholarships as long as they don’t total more than $10,000. This means that you can conveniently have a total coverage of $50,000. The other good thing about this scholarship is that even if Canada approves a Canadian permanent resident permit, you are not required to give up this scholarship until you complete your study.
You may also like to know that Students studying in Canada can take part time jobs within the campus and again this will be another source of funding.
Eligibility for OTS Scholarship:
- The student must be an international students who hold a valid Canadian study permit (
- The student must be applying for full-time graduate studies at the doctoral level in a degree granting program;
- The student must have achieved a first-class average in each of the two years of full-time study prior to being awarded the OTS; This means you must have a good result in the last 2 years of undergraduate study before coming to Canada
- The student must not have completed a previous degree at an Ontario post secondary institution at the undergraduate or graduate level prior to being admitted to the PhD program;
- The student must be committed to full time study at an Ontario University. The student will be required to repaid the scholarship if the student transfers to part-time status or fail to complete the term without prior consultation with the Graduate Studies Office.
To apply for this scholarship check out Canadian Universities
Scholarships expiring soon › Forums › Ontario Trillium Scholarship for International Students-$40,000