The European Union Academic Programme Hong Kong (EUAP) is inviting applications for a PhD Scholarship in the fields of European Union Studies / EU Relations with China / East Asia.
The EUAP is a consortium of four universities in Hong Kong, co-financed by the European Commission. It is dedicated to strengthening research expertise on the European Union and its engagement with and in East Asia.
The EUAP welcomes cutting-edge inter-disciplinary research proposals from prospective candidates. The Scholarship Scheme is an excellent opportunity for outstanding Master degree students from diverse disciplinary backgrounds to conduct doctoral research at one of the EUAP member universities in Hong Kong.Â
Applications are now invited in one the following areas:
- Trade and economic relations
- Comparative Law
- Civil society relations
- Security and/or foreign policy.
The successful candidate will be awarded the scholarship in the form of a monthly studentship sufficient to cover tuition fee, accommodation and sundries for a maximum period of three years (approx. 14,100 HK$ p.m. for the 2013-14 academic year). According to the area of research, he/she will be attached to one of the partner universities (which will also award the degree) and be part of the EUAP research postgraduate network and the respective universityâs research training modules. He/she has the opportunity to gain teaching experience by contributing to coursework and outreach activities for selected target audiences in Hong Kong.
Applicants should possess first-class undergraduate (with honours) and postgraduate degrees and display excellent command of the English language. Additional proficiency in Chinese and a second European language may be an advantage. Applicants are welcomed from diverse academic and disciplinary backgrounds. There are no restrictions on nationality.
- The application deadline is 23 August 2013.
- The applicant needs to submit the following documents:
- Detailed CV;
- Academic transcripts and TOEFL/IELTS scores;
- Personal statement (1,000 words) indicating the candidateâs motivation for conducting doctoral research in the proposed area of research;
- Detailed research proposal (3,000 words) indicating the proposed research question to be pursued, its relevance and contribution to the research literature, as well as the methodology and research materials (sources) to be used.Â
- All application documents and a portfolio of previous written work or other documented achievements should be sent by air mail to:
European Union Academic Programme
c/o Hong Kong Baptist University / Rm 515 David C. Lam Building
Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Selection and Review:Â
- The selected candidate will be nominated for admission to read for a PhD at his/her selected EUAP partner university. He/she will then have to submit a formal online application. The respective university (Graduate School) reserves the right to make the final decision on admission.
- The successful candidate will receive written confirmation of the scholarship and a written admission offer that is conditional on the candidateâs attainment of the predicted academic qualifications.
- Envisaged commencement of the scholarship period is from 1 September 2013, but not later than 1 January 2014.
The EUAP reserves the right not to make an appointment for the scholarship advertised, and the appointment will be made according to the terms & conditions then applicable at the time of offer.
If you have further questions regarding the EUAP please contact Mr. Martin Ho, EUAP Programme Coordinator at [email protected]Â via the Apply button below.Â