2 xÂ Posts
Smart Electrical Systems in Buildings Location Services in Buildings University of Hertfordshire â School of Engineering and Technology,Â BRE Trust
Applications are invited for a full-time PhD studentship (2 positions available) sponsored by BRE Trust to join the School of Engineering and Technology at the University of Hertfordshire
Please note: Due to funding the studentship is available to UK/EU nationals only.
This PhD position will be based in the School of Engineering and Technology at The University of Hertfordshire, which has a strong research emphasis on smart and intelligent systems, including an innovative smart systems laboratory supporting research and development activities in commercial and knowledge transfer projects.
The PhD student will work alongside a team of research students and will be expected to work closely with our industrial partners BRE and make use of the facilities in the BRE Innovation Park. The student may be required to split their time between University of Hertfordshire and at the BRE Ltd. in Watford. There will be opportunities to engage with other industry partners.
We are seeking PhD candidates who have a keen interest in working in the following areas:
- Smart Electrical Networks
- Smart Embedded Electronics
- Cloud and Distributed Systems
- Indoor and Outdoor location services
- Intelligent Algorithms
- Building Management Systems
- Smart and Future Cities
- Smart Grids
- Interoperability and Internet of Things
The Successful Candidate should:
- Have a First Class, Upper Second class (2:1) or Master qualification in Electrical, Electronic or Communication Engineering, or equivalent subject area.
- Have a strong background in research methods both quantitative and qualitative
- Have carried out an independent piece of research or project
- Demonstrate an ability and interest in collaborating with non-academic partners and individuals
- Be interested in the application of technology to building spaces
The studentship is offered for a maximum of three years. It will cover the University tuition fees at UK/EU level, and will provide a tax free bursary. This is approximately Â£13,726 per annum for 2013-2014.
How to Apply
Further information and application forms can be obtained from:
Mrs Lorraine Nicholls,
Science and Technology Research Institute,
University of Hertfordshire,
Hatfield, AL10 9AB;
email: [email protected].
You must also apply submit a proposal in which you must outline your motivation for wanting to undertake research and a brief outline of your initial thoughts on the topic of research (maximum 500 words).
Please return your application to Mrs Lorraine Nicholls at the above address.
The closing date for the receipt of applications is Monday 25th November 2013 2pm. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview on campus during the first week of December 2013.
Informal Enquiries should be addressed to Johann Siau ([email protected])