Closing Date: 17th August 2013
This bursary has been provided by Newcastle alumnus, Mr. Jack Jeffery CBE in memory of his mother, Mrs Elsie Jeffery. Mrs Jeffery was a pupil at Tanfield School at Stanley, County Durham during the First World War, but family circumstances meant that she had to leave at the age of fourteen to start work. Passionate about the importance of education, even in her nineties, Mrs Jeffery was still sad that she had to leave school early. Mr. Jeffery hopes that this bursary will do something to encourage prospective students to take up the challenge of postgraduate education and keep alive the memory of his mother.
The Elsie Jeffery Memorial Bursary is available for Newcastle University postgraduate students accepted on the Public Health and Health Services MSc research programme. The award is Â£1,000 for one masterâs degree student per academic year.
In order to be eligible for this Bursary you must:
- Have accepted an offer of a full-time place on the Public Health and Health Services MSc at Newcastle University, starting in September 2013
- Be prepared to demonstrate that, without this bursary the cost of studying at university might discourage you from continuing your academic career. Please include undergraduate student loan evidence to support your application
- Preference will be given to those who are from the NE Region
Successful recipients will be expected to meet with the donor and may be asked to provide comments and/or photographs for future publicity.
How to Apply
You must complete the Elsie Jeffery Memorial Bursary application form, by clicking onÂ the âApplyâ button below.
You must then submit the form by email to:Â
- Applications must be returned by Saturday 17 August 2013
- Bursaries will be awarded primarily on the basis of financial need
For further details, please contact Karen Hendrix.