Fully Funded PhD Studentship co-sponsored byÂ RedArch Manufacturing
Analysis of Advanced Automotive Exhaust Systems
The EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Embedded Intelligence at Loughborough University is offering a fully-funded PhD studentship to UK/EU applicants.
The StudentshipÂ is open to all eligible UK/EU and international/overseas students. It will run for 4 years and it includes:
- A fee waiver equivalent to the home/EU rate*
- An enhanced EPSRC tax-free stipend of up to Â£18,000 p.a. for four years.
- A personal training budget of Â£10,000 to support specific training needs.
* Please note that non UK/EU domiciled students will be required to find funding to cover the difference between home/EU fees. All non-UK applicants must meet the minimum English language requirements, details available on the website.
Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) refinement and enhanced efficiency and durability are three main design objectives in modern automotive engineering.
For exhaust system applications it is required to undertake a multi-physics approach comprising Finite Element Analysis (FEA) for thermal and modal structural analysis, Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and Acoustic coupling. This is a comprehensive approach and a unique opportunity to work with RedArch Manufacturing Ltd.; a manufacturer of advanced exhaust systems for high performance vehicles. RedArch Manufacturing Ltd. and the Engineering and Physical Science councilâ€™s Doctoral Centre for Embedded Intelligence co-sponsor these research undertakings.
- Have a first class honours or good upper second class degree inÂ Mechanical or Automotive Engineering.
- Have an understanding and experience ofÂ Fluid Mechanics and Structural Dynamics.
- Demonstrate a keen interest in Numerical analysis and Experimental validation.
- Experience ofÂ Numerical Analysis and FEA/CFD softwareÂ is desirable.
- Meet the minimum English Language requirements, details available onÂ the website
- Satisfy the UK/EU residency requirement
How to Apply
Applications should be made online atÂ http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/apply/research/. A list of the required documentation can beÂ found here. Please select “CDT Embedded Intelligence MME” under Programme Selection and quote referenceÂ CDTEI16WS2Â under Research Interests.
Embedded IntelligenceÂ is the integration of intelligence into products, processes and services so they work better and can increase productivity, efficiency and connectivity. It isÂ underpinned by diverse areas of expertiseÂ (engineering, chemistry, biology, materials, design and computer science).
We offer a uniqueÂ 4 year full-time programmeÂ which enables students toÂ develop their research skillsÂ whilst working withÂ industrial partners. Research training is also complemented by non-technical subjects e.g.Â leadership, enterprise and social responsibility. Our researchers will be at the forefront of the latest developments in Embedded Intelligence and be supported by over 45 academic members of staff and industry specialists in this field.
Closing date 22ndÂ February 2016
Informal enquires about the research project should be made toÂ Dr Ramin Rahmani (Email:Â [email protected], Tel: +44 (0) 1509 227686) EnquiriesÂ about the application process and CDT programme can be made toÂ [email protected]Â or visit theÂ websiteÂ www.cdt-ei.org.
For answers to frequently asked questions about the CDT,Â visit the website.Â