The ORCHID Project (www.orchid.ac.uk) aims to establish a new science that investigates the computational and human aspects of a society in which people become increasingly dependent upon a plethora of smart and proactive computers that we carry with us, access at home and at work and that are embedded into the world around us. It will establish the foundational underpinnings of human-agent collectives (HACs) and drive these understandings to real-world applications in critical domains. ORCHID is a collaboration between the universities of Nottingham, Oxford and Southampton and several industrial partners.
The successful student will join a dynamic multidisciplinary research team in the Mixed Reality Laboratory/Agents Lab at the University of Nottingham, exploring the design and development of novel applications with a particular emphasis on how users and autonomous systems might work together.
Areas of particular interest for the studentship include:
- Building trust between humans and agents in HACs
- Adjustable autonomy for (humans and) agents in HACs
- Verification of norms in HACs
The successful student will benefit from:
- A fully-funded three-year PhD programme within a leading-edge research institution
- Supervision from international leaders in the associated disciplines
- Office and laboratory space on Nottingham’s award-winning Jubilee Campus
- Involvement in a multidisciplinary project involving world leading experts in multiple disciplines
- A personal laptop for use on the project.
Students should have an excellent first or preferably postgraduate degree in Computer Science or a related subject area.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Felicia Knowles, Operations Manager, School of Computer Science at Felicia.email@example.com.
Due to the nature of funding the studentship is available to UK and EU citizens. The PhD scholarship is offered for the duration of three years and will cover full university fees and a stipend. For the EPSRC student eligibility criteria, please visit: http://www.epsrc.ac.uk/skills/students/help/Pages/eligibility.aspx
To apply, please access https://my.nottingham.ac.uk/pgapps/welcome.Â
Please quote ref.Â SCI/1312.
This studentship opportunity will remain open until filled.
Please note that you will need to create a new account if this is your first time as postgraduate research applicant to the University of Nottingham. When applying, please also include a detailed CV and a statement of research interests.