Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Doctoral Scholarships: $35,000 per year
This scholarship is tenable in Canada and only in specific universities. The Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS scholarships is sponsored by the Social Science and Human Resource Council(SSHRC) and is designed to support students who demonstrate a high standard of scholarly achievement in undergraduate and graduate studies in the social sciences and humanities.
SSHRC award scholarships to fulltime students only. They determine the value and duration of an award based on the number of months of full-time study (or equivalent) the applicant will have completed by December 31 of the year of application. Here is how the value of the Canada Graduate Scholarships (CGS) award is determined:
|Number of months completed by December 31 of the year of application||Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Doctoral Scholarship||SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship|
|Applicants who will have completed between 0 and 4 months||36 months of funding||48 months of funding|
|Applicants who will have completed between 5 and 16 months||36 months of funding||36 months of funding|
|Applicants who will have completed between 17 and 28 months||Not eligible||24 months of funding|
|Applicants who will have completed between 29 and 40 months||Not eligible||12 months of funding|
|Applicants who will have completed 41 months or more||Not eligible||Not eligible|
For both the Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Doctoral Scholarships and the SSHRC Doctoral Fellowships, applicants successful in the current competition must take up their awards in May 2017, September 2017 or January 2018. The January start date is available only to award holders who cannot begin their degree program earlier, either because of an incomplete previous degree or because their chosen degree program is not available until the later date.
Eligibility to apply for the scholarship
To qualify to apply to both the SSHRC Doctoral Fellowships and the Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Doctoral Scholarships funding opportunities, you must:
- be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada;
- be applying for support to pursue your first PhD (or equivalent);
- be pursuing doctoral studies in the social sciences or humanities;
- not have already received a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree; and
- not be applying in the 2016-17 academic year to NSERC or CIHR.
At the time of application, you need not be assured of admission to a degree program.
Combined MA/PhD, fast-track and direct-entry PhD programs
- If you are or will be registered in a combined MA/PhD, fast-track (accelerating from a master’s program into a doctoral program without obtaining the master’s degree) or direct-entry PhD program, you may be eligible to apply for a CGS Master’s Scholarship provided you have completed between zero and 12 months of graduate-level study by December 31 of the year of application.
- If you are currently registered in a combined MA/PhD, fast-track or direct-entry PhD program, and have or will have completed more than 12 months or more of graduate-level study by December 31 of the year of application, you can only apply to the Doctoral Awards funding opportunity.
Research Training Portfolio
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council
350 Albert Street
P.O. Box 1610
Ottawa, ON K1P 6G4
Scholarships expiring soon › Forums › Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Doctoral Scholarships: $35,000 per year