York University Canada offers a number of scholarships to both Canadians and International students. The following scholarships are offered annually by the faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional studies (LA&PS) in the department of English. A total of seven prizes and scholarships, five of which were established in honour of former faculty members; one honours the Department’s entire retired faculty; and one was established by a former Chancellor of York University as part of his dedication to Canadian Studies.
According to the University “Studying here is about pursuing relevant issues and creative ideas through engagement with the material, your professors and peers, collaboratively and supportively”.
The Lucille Herbert Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship exists to assist any good undergraduate student in English (Faculty of LA&PS) who proposes to travel to Europe, especially France, and who has taken (including current enrolment), at least four courses in English. Travel might be specifically for study, perhaps at a summer school, but not restricted to formal courses.
An articulate letter of application, addressed to the Chair of the Department, should provide the following information: present level of study; English courses taken and grades obtained; present academic plans; object of travel. (No letters from referees.) Applicants may be expected to attend an informal interview. The value of this scholarship is typically one economy airfare. The deadline for application varies from year to year. Contact the Departmental office at 416-736-5166 for specific information. (The Department reserves the right not to award a prize in any given year.)
The Brian Hepworth Memorial Prize
This prize is awarded annually for the best essay on a subject drawn from English literature, 1660-1800, written by an undergraduate student and submitted as part of the requirements for an undergraduate course offered in the current year by the English Department, Faculty of LA&PS. Essays must be nominated by a member of the Department, and submitted to the Chair. The value of this award and the closing date for nominations vary from year to year. Contact the Departmental office at 416-736-5166 for further details. (The Department reserves the right not to award a prize in any given year.)
The H.K. Girling Literature Prize
Established in 2002 by friends and family in memory of Professor Harry K. Girling, a member of the York University English Department from 1962 to 1984. The prize is awarded annually, on the recommendation of the English Department, to a student enrolled in a 2000- or 3000-level English course. Its basis is an outstanding essay written for that course, by a student who shows commitment to literature in both the classroom and in other ways.
Professor Girling always challenged his students to make connections between their studies and contemporary culture. It is hoped that the successful candidate is someone who can rise to that challenge. Students may either nominate themselves or be nominated by their instructors. In either case a full submission will include both a clean copy of the essay and an accompanying letter detailing the student’s commitment to literature and to connecting her/his studies to contemporary culture.
The June McMaster-Harrison Memorial Prize
Awarded to the Liberal Arts & Professional Studies student who, while enrolled in an English course, at the 3000- or 4000-level, produces the finest piece of written work in areas of studies with special interest to Professor McMaster-Harrison: literature of the Romantic period; literary theory; cross-disciplinary studies involving literature and other arts or sciences. It is awarded for courses completed in the previous fall/winter and summer session.This prize was established to honour Professor June McMaster-Harrison, former Chair of the Department of English in the former Atkinson Faculty of Liberal & Professional Studies.
The Matthew Ahern Memorial Prize
Awarded annually to the student with the highest academic achievement in one of the following courses: Shakespeare and his Contemporaries; Poetry and Prose of the Romantic Period; American Literature of the 19th Century; Elizabethan and Jacobean Drama. Decisions will be based on courses completed in the previous fall/winter and summer session. Established in honour of Dr. Ahern, who served as Chair of English and Associate Dean of Atkinson. He was a devoted, versatile teacher for over 25 years, with areas of expertise extending from Renaissance to 19th- century and Modern American Literature.
The Department of English Retirees’ Scholarship
Established by Professor Ruth Grogan in 2004, the fund that supports this award is a way of honouring faculty retiring from the English Department. It is intended to provide financial assistance to the top student (ranking based on cumulative grade point average), in the Department of English, Faculty of LA&PS, who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and a resident of Ontario, and who demonstrates financial need. Recipients must be enrolled in a major or minor program within the Department of English and have completed at least 21 credits in English (3.5 full courses) and will be continuing in the English Department with at least 12 credits remaining to graduate, 6 of which must be in English. Eligible students will be invited to complete a bursary application.
The Avie Bennett Prize in Canadian Literature
Avie Bennett was Chancellor of York University from May 1998 to June 2004. Because of his lifelong interest in Canadian Studies, he has established a prize to be awarded annually to an undergraduate student studying in the Department of English in the Faculty of LA&PS, who has written the best essay in Canadian Literature.
The recipient will also receive a set of the New Canadian Library at the annual English Department awards reception. Faculty members within the Department will nominate essays for this prize.
Departmental Essay Prizes
The Department of English has a long history of recognizing outstanding students and therefore awards prizes for the best essay written in courses at the 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000 level.
Eligibility for the English department scholarships
You must be enrolled in a full time study more specifically in Liberal Arts program at the York University Canada to be considered for these scholarships.
For more information, please contact the Department on how to apply as follows:
Contact the Faculty
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: (416) 736-5166
Here are more trending York University Scholarships
- Liberal Arts/English Language Scholarships- York University Canada - York University Canada offers a number of scholarships to both Canadians and International students. The following scholarships are offered annually by the faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional studies (LA&PS) in the department of English. A total of seven prizes and scholarships, five of which were established in honour of former faculty members; one honours […]
- QEII-GSST-Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarships - QEII-GSST-Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarships The Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology (QEII-GSST) Program is a merit based scholarship program designed to support students in science and technology at the master’s and doctoral levels. Particular interest is paid to students graduate students in science and technology conducting research as part of their […]
- Canada-The Ethel Harris Entrance Scholarship at Glendon College - The Ethel Harris Entrance Scholarship at Glendon College -York University – Glendon Campus This scholarship is tenable in Canada at York University – Glendon Campus. It is important for interested applicants to pay attention to the scholarship deadlines. Every Year the University and scholarship sponsors offer 6 scholarships to qualified students. Additional Information and method […]
- Canada-Schulich Leader Scholarship - Schulich Leader Scholarship -York University This scholarship is tenable in Canada at York University. It is important for interested applicants to pay attention to the scholarship deadlines. Every Year the University and scholarship sponsors offer 2 scholarships to qualified students. Additional Information and method of application: . Follow the link below to apply for Schulich […]
- Canada-Oscar Peterson Scholarship - Oscar Peterson Scholarship -York University This scholarship is tenable in Canada at York University. It is important for interested applicants to pay attention to the scholarship deadlines. Every Year the University and scholarship sponsors offer 1 scholarships to qualified students. Additional Information and method of application: . Follow the link below to apply for Oscar […]
- Recent Winners Of CIBC Youthvision Scholarship - 2015 Recipients of CIBC Youthvision Scholarship: Source CIBC Scholarship Saher Aslam Mississauga, Ontario Yaye Balde Vancouver, British Columbia Olivia Blevins Barrie, Ontario Olivia Blizzard Fredricton, New Brunswick Vea Katrina Capiral Toronto, Ontario Sydney Clayton Toronto, Ontario Madison Stokely St. Thomas, Ontario Amelia Coull St. Catharines, Ontario Angelica Coull St. Catharines, Ontario Michael Cross St. Catharines, […]
- 2016-2017 International Doctoral Scholarship for Jewish studies-$10,000 - 2016-2017 International Doctoral Scholarship for Jewish studies Important: This scholarships is available to International students too. This scholarship is available every year The Jewish scholarship is a renewable scholarship The International Doctoral Scholarship for Jewish studies was established to encourage students to undertake in-dept studies related to Jewish cultures. The intention is also to help […]
- International School of Economics masters degree scholarship-2016 - The International School of Economics at Tibisi State University has opened the 2016 application process for the Master’s Degree Program in Economics. The deadline for applications is May 5, 2016. Admission exams will be held simultaneously in Baku, Tbilisi, and Yerevan in early May 2016. All students accepted into the Master’s program will be invited […]
- Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s Program - The Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s (CGS M) Program was developed to encourage and provide financial support to high performance students . Though a Master scholarship awards , in some cases, doctoral programs are allowed. This scholarship is tenable in Canada The Scholarship is non renewable and it covers the students for 12 months of study […]
- Nicholas J. Bartilucci Environmental Scholarship-$5,000 - The New York Water Environment Association is offering a number of environmental science scholarships to New York residents in 2016. The Nicholas J. Bartilucci Environmental Scholarship is one of the major scholarship awards worth up to $5000. The scholarship amount in paid out in one instalment of $5,000.The student must be enrolling a Bachelor of Science […]
- Environmental Career Scholarship Application-$10,000 - TThe New York Water Environment Association is offering a number of environmental science scholarships to New York residents in 2016. The Environmental Career Scholarship is one of the major scholarship awards worth up to $10,000. The student must be enrolling a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Engineering full-time program related to environmental science. Eligibility […]
- 6 PhD Studentships in the Department of Electronics - Up to 6 fully funded PhD studentships available in the Department of Electronics at the University of York for October 2016 The Department of Electronics at the University of York undertakes world-leading research in a number of areas of electronic and computer engineering. The most recent Research Excellence Framework results judged that 87% of our […]
- Two full time funded PhD studentships: White Rose ESRC Doctoral Training Centre Studentships - Health and Wellbeing Pathway The Department of Health Sciences invites applications for two full-time PhD studentships funded by the White Rose ESRC Doctoral Training Centre (WR DTC) which are aligned to the Health and Wellbeing pathway (http://www.wrdtc.ac.uk/). These studentships, due to commence in October 2016, will provide a comprehensive training package, tailored to meet the […]
- Canada-United World College Scholarship - The York University United World College Scholarship is available to undergraduate students from other countries outside Canada Eligibility: Enrolled in a United World College and high academic standing To renew – maintain a high academic standing (7.80 on a 9-point York scale) in each academic year at York York requests that only one candidate be nominated […]
- Canada-York University-International Entrance Scholarship - The York University International Entrance Scholarship is available to undergraduate students from other countries outside Canada Eligibility: Highest academic average Demonstrated leadership skill Letters of recommendation To renew – maintain a high academic standing (7.80 on a 9-point York scale) in each academic year at York Other requirements Prospective students must be entering their first […]
- York University Entrance scholarship for international students-International Circle of Scholars Scholarships - The Scholarship: The York University in Canada offers a number of entrance scholarship awards for international students. Majority of the awards are based on academic merit. Also, students are automatically considered. The International Circle of Scholars Scholarships is available to international students every year York university is in the heart of Toronto Canada – the […]
- Urban Fellows Program - Students can gain significant professional experience with Canada’s largest municipal government by applying to the Urban Fellows program. This program is a very popular program across North America. The programs is designed to engage students to study and discuss issues related to urban growth with top decision makers. Successful applicants are assigned to work with […]
- The September 11, 2001 International Award - This scholarship award is automatically awarded to the top academic achieving international undergraduate students in the previous scholarship year. The scholarship is tenable at Memorial University Newfoundland Canada This scholarship was setup from donations made by nearly 13,000 air travellers that were diverted to airports in Newfoundland to ensure their safety during the tragic events in […]
- University Entrance scholarships - A number of Canadian universities offer what they call “Entrance scholarships”. This means that whether you are a Canadian or an international student you will be automatically considered for these scholarships upon admission into the university. The basic eligibility criteria are based on the students cumulative average. For example, University of Western Ontario, requires that […]