The Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) and Walmart Foundation are proud to offer financial assistance to outstanding students who will be incoming freshmen at one of the 47 publicly-supported Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) within the TMCF member-school network. The TMCF |Walmart Foundation First Generation Scholars Program is open to graduating high school seniors with a minimum 2.5 GPA. Selected scholars will receive a campus mentor and a one-year merit scholarship of up to $6,200 for the 2018-2019 academic school year, which will be used to cover the costs of tuition and fees, on-campus room and board and required textbooks purchased from member-schools. The funds are applied in the fall and spring semesters at $3,100 per semester.
A first-generation college student is defined as a student whose parent(s)/legal guardian(s) and siblings do not have a college degree. This means that you are the first in your family to attend a college/university and attain a bachelor’s degree.
- Be a first-generation college student
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be a graduating high-school senior/incoming college freshman
- Be accepted to and prepared to attend one of TMCF’s 47 member-schools
- Have a grade point average of 2.5 or higher in high school
- Be recommended by a high school counselor
- Have demonstrated financial need through the completion of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- Have demonstrated leadership ability through a variety of measures
- Resume (include community service, leadership and employment/internship experience)
- 2018-2019 Student Aid Report (received from filing FAFSA)
- Current high school transcript (unofficial or official, GPA must show on transcript)
- Recommendation from current high school counselor or faculty member
- Essay: In a minimum of 500 words, please address the following question:
- What does it mean to be the first person in your family to receive a college degree? What impact would this scholarship have on your education?
How to Apply
To apply, click the button below and create a TMCF Account. Once you sign up and create a TMCF Account, you can complete the TMCF | Walmart Foundation First-Generation Scholarship Program application.
Method of application.