This bursary has been provided by Newcastle alumnus, Mr. Jack Jeffery CBE, in memory of his mother, Mrs Elsie Jeffery. Mrs Jeffery was a pupil at Tanfield School at Stanley, County Durham during the First World War, but family circumstances meant that she had to leave at the age of fourteen to start work.
Passionate about the importance of education, even in her nineties Mrs Jeffery was still sad that she had to leave school early. Mr. Jeffery hopes that this bursary will do something to encourage prospective students to take up the challenge of postgraduate education and keep alive the memory of his mother.
Value of the Award
The Elsie Jeffery Memorial Bursary is available to graduates of Newcastle University,who are accepted on the Music MMus degree programme at Newcastle University. The award is ?1,000 for one master?s degree student.
In order to be eligible for this bursary you must:
- be Newcastle University graduates
- have accepted an offer of a full-time place on the Music MMus programme at Newcastle University starting in September 2014
- be prepared to demonstrate that, without this bursary the cost of studying at university might discourage you from continuing your academic career. Please include undergraduate student loan evidence to support your application
Please note that:
- preference will be given to those who are from the North East region of the UK
- bursaries will be awarded primarily on the basis of financial need
- successful applicants will be expected to meet with the donor and may be asked to provide comments and/or photographs for future publicity
How to Apply
Before applying for this bursary, you must have accepted an offer of a place on the Music MMus programme at Newcastle University. Further information about entry requirements and how to apply to the Music MMus programme can be found on the programme page of the online postgraduate prospectus.
Further advice about how to apply for a programme at Newcastle University can be found on the postgraduate application web pages.
To apply for the bursary, please complete the Elsie Jeffrey Memorial Bursary
application form (Word Doc: 25.5 KB) and submit to: Mrs Jane Hagger, School of Arts & Cultures, Armstrong Building, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU ([email protected]).
Closing Date for Applications
Applications must be returned by 5pm on Friday 30 May 2014.
Please note this scholarship may not be available every year.