Biomaterial background with industrial experience if possible
Contract length: until end of April 2017
Start date: From September 2016
Reports to: Project Manager
We are seeking to recruit a serious, innovative, collaborative, self-motivated, committed, very meticulous and organized full time Biomaterial Research Engineer and laboratory supervisor to join the existing entrepreneurial team for a natural protein biomaterial project. This position is a broad ranging laboratory based role developing, problem solving.
Please note: there is no biotechnology, cell culture, protein/molecule synthesis or protein analysis involved in this role.
The position will mainly involve developing a new process to produce the silk feedstocks for our protein biomaterial platform technology. The candidate will interface with external research teams and support, trouble shoot and help to develop new processes and testing of the material.
Key responsibilities will include
- Organise all laboratory work efficiently.
- Help develop and implement new processes of obtaining the main silk feedstock and scaffolds made with the feedstock.
- Help ensure that all manufacturing process improvements are scalable to production volume and assist with the manufacture up-scale when prototype is ready.
- Help in the development and implementation of a Quality Assurance methodologies for existing and new processes.
- Communicate observations and outcomes on a scheduled basis.
- Generate new data in support of scientific, regulatory and marketing claims and indications.
- Work with external facilities and sub-contract facilities.
- Maintain the laboratory stocks and equipment, place orders for materials and consummables.
- Comply with requirements and procedures for Design Control.
- Follow strict documentation and laboratory work processes.
- Write SOP’s and other Quality System documentation as required.
Candidate’s key attributes
- Positive “can do” attitude absolutely critical
- Prior experience in a laboratory, ideally supervising someone else
- Practical and “hands on” laboratory skills as the position will be mainly laboratory-based
- Strong analytical, research and innovation skills
- Background in biomaterials, chemistry or protein chemistry
- Confident when working independently and supervising someone
- Able to ensure overall project goals and timelines are met by organising and supervising all laboratory work efficiently
- Able to plan relevant work/studies, analyse data and prepare reports
- Able to work in a small team.
Candidate’s ideal knowledge
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Project
- Scientific/technical degree
- Master’s degree minimum
- Minimum experience in industry ideal.
All applicants should be able to prove that they are