Supervisors:Â Dr Ben Potter, Dr William Holderbaum, Professor Atta Badii (University of Reading) and Dr Paul Wright (NPL)
Summary: A PhD candidate is required to work on an exciting and challenging project to enable increased renewable energy penetration through improved power transmission line utilisation. The research work will be based on the use of data from Phasor Measurement Units (PMUs) to calculate the impedance of the cable and hence estimate temperature in order to enable dynamic real-time ratings. The project is focused on research innovation and its practical application to business, and is a joint appointment with the University of Reading and the National Physical Laboratory, Teddington, and is awarded by the Climate KIC.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to take part in Climate KIC activities including compulsory participation in âthe Journeyâ a summer school involving placements abroad and group activities with other students.
For more detailed information, please visit http://www.reading.ac.uk/sse/pg-research/studentships/sse-pgrstudentships-2013-08.aspx.
Research Studentship Details
- Full Time research degree programme only
- Applicants will be required to start the degree programme in January 2014.
- The studentship arrangement will cover tuition fees and provide an annual stipend of around Â£15,600 for up to three years. Please note that the additional fees that apply to international (non-Home/EU) students are not covered.
- The minimum requirement for this studentship opportunity is a good Honours degree (minimum 2(i) honours or equivalent) or MSc/MRes in a relevant discipline. Relevant disciplines include Electrical Engineering, Physics, and Energy Systems.
- Students must be able to demonstrate âa capability to undertake and benefit from research training through to completion, to the standard necessary to qualify for a PhD.â
- Some compulsory teaching responsibilities will be required.
- If English is not your first language then you will require a valid English certificate equivalent to IELTS 6.5+ overall with a minimum score of 5.5 in all sections (Reading, Listening, Writing, Speaking).
Contact Details: For informal enquiries about this position, please contact Dr Paul Wright (NPL. Tel: 020 8943 6367 E-mail: email@example.com) or Dr. Ben Potter (University of Reading. Tel: 0118 378 8586 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Application Method:Â To apply for this studentship please submit an application for a PhD in Electronic Engineering to the University of Reading,Â via the âApplyâ button below.
Please quote reference number GS13-134 in the funding section of your online application.
Once you have submitted your application you should receive an email to confirm receipt of your application. You should forward this email, along with a covering letter and full CV with details of your qualifications and achievement to Dr Ben Potter (email@example.com) by the application deadline.
Deadline for applications: midnight on Sunday 20th October 2013.
Interview date: Interviews will take place at the University of Reading on 6th November 2013.Â Please indicate in your application if it is not possible for you to attend an interview on this date. The interview panel will comprise representatives from NPL, University of Reading and the Climate KIC.