CSIROs Food and Nutrition Flagship is offering a generous scholarship to a PhD candidate to undertake research that combines process modelling with consumer quality attributes. In this role you will form part of a larger multidisciplinary team which includes meat scientists, food process engineers and microbiologists that are working towards improving the quality of Australian meat through the application of innovative processing technologies.
The PhD student will use state of the art methods to develop models for predicting heat transfer and physical (dimensional, water loss, texture) changes of meat cuts undergoing cooking. The accuracy of the developed models shall be tested using industrial cooking regimes and procedures.
Specifically you will:
- Develop approaches for measuring temperature distribution and physical (3-dimensional and water loss) changes of meat during cooking;
- Develop mathematical models that predict heat transfer and physical changes of meat during water bath cooking;
- Validate the accuracy of predictive models through different cooking regimes and methods.
Location: Werribee, VIC
Salary: Scholarship stipend is valued at AUD30,000 per year, plus a generous operating budget
Tenure: 3 year term
Ref No.: VIC14/03737
To be considered you must be eligible to enrol in a PhD program at RMIT University.
You will also have:
- A combination of strong laboratory and mathematical skills, ideally gained from a background in engineering (e.g. process, chemical or food engineering), food science and technology, or related fields;
- An outstanding academic record and/or relevant industry or research experience;
- Evidence of strong oral and written communication skills;
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary research team;
- The willingness to work under the direction of CSIRO Research Scientists.
Australia is founding its future on science and innovation. Its national science agency, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), is a powerhouse of ideas, technologies and skills for building prosperity, growth, health and sustainability. It serves governments, industries, business and communities.
About CSIRO Food and Nutrition:
Our Food and Nutrition Flagship conducts research to support the health and wellbeing of Australians and the sustainability and viability of the Australian food industry.