This scholarship was created in honour of the late Larry Campbell, who retired after 38 years of service with the Canadian Meat Council, two $2,500 scholarships will be awarded annually to current 4-H members planning to attend a Canadian University in a Food Science, Meat Science or Animal Science discipline.
The first set of scholarships will be awarded for members starting post secondary education in the fall of 2014.
The Larry Milton Campbell Memorial 4-H Scholarship Program is administered by the Canadian 4-H Council, which also will select the scholarship recipients.
Application deadline is October 23, 2013 at 11:59pm EST.
- Applicants must be at least 16 years of age by January 1st, 2013 and a current 4-H member in good standing.
- Applicants must be entering their final year of high school in September of 2013, have roots in farming, and plan to attend a Canadian university in Food Science, Meat Science or Animal Science.
- Complete the application form and submit:
- Recipients must provide proof of enrollment in a Canadian university, proof of expenses totaling the amount of the scholarship and their social insurance number in order to claim their award; funds will not be released until these documents are provided.
- Transcript of marks for the past academic year 2012/2013 showing their numerical grade average in percentage form (i.e. 85%)
- A 500-word essay outlining how having roots in farming has made them who they are today
- Three reference letters from your community, school or 4-H
- All scholarship recipients must use the funds within two years from receipt of the award for attending a Canadian university in an agriculture related discipline. Funding may be used for tuition, books and/or lodging.
- Applicants must grant permission to Canadian Meat Council and the Canadian 4-H Council to use their name/and or photograph, province of residence and area of study in a media release to promote Larry Milton Campbell Memorial Scholarship.
- Applications, including required submissions, must be received at Canadian 4-H Council no later than October 23rd, 2013. Faxed copies will be accepted. Canadian Meat Council and the Canadian 4-H Council will not be responsible for late submissions due to fax, mail or courier delays.
- Scholarship recipients must be available to attend a scholarship presentation in their home community or suitable location in conjunction with a Canadian Meat Council representative(s).
- Winners will be selected based on numerical grade point average for the 2012/2013
academic year, their essay, their ability to follow the required criteria and their reference letters.
- A total of 2 scholarships (valued at $2500 each) will be awarded.
- In the event of a tie, winners will be selected by a random draw.
Candidates can download the application form here