The School of Education at Nottingham invites applications for PhD study within the Nottingham Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) Doctoral Training Centre (DTC). The School is a leading centre for research in education, for example, in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise we were ranked 6th of 82 UK Education departments (see http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/research/documents/researchassessmentexercisebrochure.pdf).Â
Research within the school covers a wide range of aspects of education as we are committed to working with others to improve education and its contribution to society. Consequently, we work to make learning more empowering inspires partnerships with a range of external organisations, including local schools, theÂ British Film Institute, Tate Galleries, the National Trust and UNESCO.
Studentship applications are invited for research focused on, but not limited, to:
- adultÂ and vocational education
- creative curriculum and engaging pedagogies
- international higher education
- leadership and teacher development
- learning sciences
- maths education
- technology enhanced learning
- wellbeing and inclusion
For more information and for details of specific research projects to which we would particularly welcome applications see http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/education/prospective/researchdegrees/esrc-dtc/esrc-phd-studentship-in-education.aspx
An Education PhD Student is part of a friendly and well-supported research community of staff and students and works closely with international experts in our specialist research groups. Through the ESRC DTC students have access to a world-class multidisciplinary environment in which social science research and those undertaking it can flourish. We provide dedicatedÂ support for academic research in social sciences with superb teaching, learning and lifestyle facilities.
Information about ESRC Awards
ESRC Studentships will start on 1 October 2014, cover full PhD fees and provide a tax-free stipend (Â£13,726 pa in 2013).Â Students are required to provide evidence of significant and appropriate research training, normally through the attainment of a previous masters qualification, in order to apply directly to the PhD programme (+3 route). Students without this will normally be funded for an MA before PhD (1+3 route). Â
- ESRC Studentships are highly competitive and applicants mustÂ have either a first class or upper second class Bachelor’s Honours degree, normally from a UK academic research organisation.
- You must comply with the ESRC residential requirements (see http://www.esrc.ac.uk/funding-and-guidance/postgraduates/prospective-students/eligibility/index.aspx )
Students must read the Guidance Notes for ESRC Applicants* before making applying. By the deadline applicants need to do each of the following:
- Apply on-line for PhD in Education (see https://my.nottingham.ac.uk/pgapps/welcome/)
- Submit to [email protected] a research proposal.Â For guidance on structuring the Â proposal go to http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/pgstudy/how-to-apply/how-to-write-a-research-proposal.aspx
- Complete a Studentship application form* which includes shorter version of the research proposal
- Provide two academic references*
* For Guidance notes, application form and referee forms go to http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/esrc-dtc/funding-application/index.aspxÂ Â
If applicants meet the ESRC eligibility for these awards and have a research topic focused on one of these main research areas we would encourage them to identify staff in the School who could supervise their work. In this case applicants are strongly encouraged to make contact with a potential supervisor prior to submitting an application. Staff interests and contact details can be accessed at http://nottingham.ac.uk/education/people. Informal enquiries should be addressed to Professor Shaaron Ainsworth, Director of Postgraduate Research ([email protected])
For more information on full and part time PhD study and the part-time Professional Doctorate please click on the ‘Apply’ button below.
Closing date: 28 February 2014 (noon).
Please quote ref. LSS368.