The Munich School of Engineering (MSE) at the Technische UniversitÃ¤t MÃ¼nchen is inviting applications for two doctoral positions with a focus on energy efficient and smart cities. The MSE is an Integrative Research Centre dedicated to stimulating interdisciplinary research and promoting cross-faculty teaching. Technische UniversitÃ¤t MÃ¼nchen is one of the top research universities in Europe. The university fosters a strong entrepreneurial spirit and international culture that places it at the forefront of research in a diversity of disciplines.
The successful candidates will be appointed within a new research programme âEnergy Valley Bavariaâ, which aims to facilitate research activities towards an effective and holistic integration of renewables into the existing energy systems. The successful candidates will entail the use of mixed methods to explore ways to improve the energy efficiency of Bavarian cities through urban retrofitting coupled with the use of low carbon energy technologies. They are expected to work on research projects involving the following aspects:
- Identifying the technical and economic potential for energy efficient retrofits in urban areas
- Coordinating the supply and demand of heat and electricity in buildings at district level
- Optimising renewable energy systems in urban areas with integrated smart grids
- Applicants should have an above-average Masterâs degree (or equivalent) in a relevant engineering or science discipline
- Knowledge of energy efficient retrofits and/or low-carbon energy technologies
- Ability to model complex urban energy systems
- Experience in system optimisation or spatial analysis is highly desirable
- Very good English language skills (knowledge of German is not essential but would be an advantage)
- Highly motivated and enjoy working in an international team
International candidates are highly encouraged to apply. Remuneration will be in line with current German collective pay agreement (TV-L E13). Technische UniversitÃ¤t MÃ¼nchen is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity. We explicitly encourage women to apply and preference will be given to disabled applicants with equivalent qualifications.
If you are interested in applying, please send a complete application (in English) including a CV, a cover letter and contact details of two referees to Dr Vicky Cheng, Munich School of Engineering, BoltzmannstraÃe 17, 85748 Garching (email: email@example.com via the Apply button below). Your cover letter should explain your research interests and demonstrate your qualifications for the post. If you have any queries, please contact Dr Vicky Cheng.
More information about the MSE is available at http://www.mse.tum.de/en/home/
Closing Date: 31 August 2013