The purpose of the Transition Into Post-Secondary Studies (TIPS) Scholarship Fund at the Community Foundation of Johnson County, an affiliate of the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation, is to provide scholarships to high functioning students with special learning needs who plan to seek or who are seeking a two-year or four-year college degree.
Students eligible for assistance shall
- Be graduates or graduating seniors from high school who plan to seek or who are seeking an Associates or a Bachelors Degree and who reside in Johnson or Wyandotte County in Kansas or Clay, Jackson or Platte County in Missouri.
- Have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA in high school and, if applying while in college, at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA in college.
- The students special learning needs must be evidenced by either an IEP (Individual Educational Plan) or a 504 Plan that they can submit with their scholarship application.
- Students must also explain why the college they plan to attend (or that they already attend) is a school that offers programs that align with their special learning needs.
- In addition, college students who are applying for a scholarship must provide evidence that they are using the support services for special learning needs at the school they attend.
Consideration will also be given to financial need and extracurricular activities. Students must submit a scholarship application on a form provided by the Community Foundation.
Finalists are required to participate in an interview with the Selection Committee. Time and date will be announced at a later date.
Scholarships of generally up to $1,000 will be awarded for one year payable in equal installments, one-half will be payable in August for the first semester and one-half payable in January for the second semester, assuming the student continues to meet the criteria set forth above, including a contact with a member of the review committee. Scholarships shall be used for tuition, fees and/or books.
How to apply:
- Click here to access the application.
- Create a new AwardSpring user account or login.
- Complete all APPLICATION sections.
- You will be matched to the scholarship(s) you are eligible for based on your answers to the QUALIFICATION QUESTIONS.
- Complete all FOLLOW-UP questions in the AwardSpring DASHBOARD.