How to Apply: To view or apply for this vacancy please visit The Pirbright Institute website, where an application form and further details can be found: http://www.pirbright.ac.uk/jobs/Jobs.aspx
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute conducts cutting edge genomic research on an unprecedented scale and our laboratory teams play a vital role in enabling and supporting our science.
The Cancer Genetics and Genomics programme is currently looking for an enthusiastic and technically skilled Advanced Research Assistant to carry out both routine and more bespoke laboratory protocols and procedures. They will be expected to be able to use their skills and experience to trouble-shoot moderately complex problems and innovate where required in a timely way. Supervisory responsibility for the day-to-day operation of laboratory is a key requirement of the role and it is expected that the successful candidate will have had previous supervisory experience.
The successful candidate will be an excellent communicator to keep both the team and senior staff fully apprised of progress; they will be expected to take a collaborative and pragmatic approach when planning the work schedules in order to prioritise effectively. Working as part of the wider support team they will be helping to provide laboratory solutions and support for the head of the Cancer Genetics and Genomics Programme and the faculty team.
- Science degree in biological sciences
- Extensive laboratory experience
- Proven experience of supervising and planning the work of others
- An excellent understanding and proven practical experience in molecular biology strategies and techniques e.g., nucleic acid isolation, purification, PCR and electrophoresis.
- Theoretical understanding of genome engineering techniques including CRISPR/Cas9
- Understanding of genotyping techniques (e.g. qPCR, HRMA)
- Theoretical understanding of sequencing technologies
- Ability to test and implement new approaches and techniques including troubleshooting
- Capable of working to a schedule and delivering a variety of challenging projects simultaneously within agreed deadlines
- Excellent communication skills to allow accurate information to be exchanged (verbal, email, telephone)
- Good computer skills in the use of office software (e.g. Excel, Word, Powerpoint)
- Experience of mammalian cell culture
- Experience of writing risk assessments
- Practical experience with genome engineering techniques including CRISPR/Cas9
- Practical experience of genotyping techniques (e.g. qPCR, HRMA)
- Customer support experience would be advantageous
- Practical experience with sequencing technologies