American College of Surgeons International Guest Scholarships
The American College of Surgeons is offering guest scholarships to younge surgeons from countries other than the
United States or Canada who have demonstrated strong interests in teaching and research. The scholarships will provide the scholars with an opportunity to visit clinical, teaching, and research activities in the U.S. and Canada and to attend and participate fully in the educational opportunities and activities of the American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress.
- Applicants must be graduates of schools of medicine who have completed their surgical training.
- Applicants must be at least 35 years old, but under 50, on the date that the completed application is filed.
- Applicants must submit their applications from their intended permanent location. Applications will be accepted for processing only when the applicants have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at their intended permanent location, following completion of all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships).
- Applicants must have demonstrated a commitment to teaching and/or research in accordance with the standards of the applicant’s country.
- Early careerists are deemed more suitable than those who are serving in senior academic appointments.
- Applicants must submit a fully completed application form provided by the College on its website. The application and accompanying materials must be submitted in English. Submission of a curriculum vitae only is not acceptable.
- Applicants must provide a list of all of their publications and must submit, in addition, three complete publications (reprints or manuscripts) of their choice from that list.
- Preference may be given to applicants who have not already experienced training or surgical fellowships in the U.S. or Canada.
- Applicants must submit independently prepared letters of recommendation from three of their colleagues. One letter must be from the chair of the department in which they hold an academic appointment or a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons residing in their country. The chair’s or the Fellow’s letter is to include a specific statement detailing the nature and extent of the teaching and other academic involvement of the applicant. Letters of recommendation should be submitted by the person making the recommendation.
- The online application form is structured to assist the Scholarship Selection Subcommittee and assists the applicant in submitting a structured curriculum vitae.
- The International Guest Scholarships must be used in the year for which they are designated. They cannot be postponed.
- Applicants who are awarded scholarships will provide a full written report of the experiences provided through the scholarships upon completion of their tours.
- An unsuccessful applicant may reapply only twice and only by completing and submitting a new application together with new supporting documentation.
HOW TO APPLY:
Completed applications for the International Guest Scholarships for the year 2018 and all of the supporting documentation must be received online prior to July 3, 2017, in order for an applicant to receive consideration by the selection committee. All applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decision in November 2017. Applicants are urged to submit their completed applications and supporting documents as early as possible in order to provide sufficient time for processing.
Questions about and application materials for this scholarship should be sent to email@example.com.
Bonus:Successful Candidates will have the privilege of participating in the College’s annual Clinical Congress held in Boston, MA, in October 2018
Get Scholarship updates in your inbox