Value of Scholarship: Depends on Duration
Level Of Study: PhD Degree, Masters & Undergraduate
2017 Emerging Leaders in Americas Program
The Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program (ELAP) scholarships provide students and researchers from Latin America and the Caribbean with short-term exchange opportunities for study or research, in Canada, at the college, undergraduate and graduate levels.
Scholarship Value and Duration
Funding for ELAP scholarships is made available by Global Affairs Canada through its legal title: the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD).
The Canadian institution will receive funding from DFATD for all successful candidates (students and researchers) in the form of a contribution agreement and will be responsible for providing the funds to scholarship recipients.
The scholarship value varies depending on the duration and level of study. The scholarship value for students is:
- $7,200 CAN for college, undergraduate or graduate students (Master’s and PhD) for a minimum of four months or one academic term of study or research; or
- $9,700 CAN for graduate students (Master’s and PhD) for a period of five to six months of study or research.
In addition to the funds allocated to the recipients by DFATD, the Canadian host institution may also claim $300 CAN per scholarship recipient to assist with administrative costs once the scholarship recipient arrives in Canada.
Candidates must be citizens of one of the following eligible countries:
- Caribbean: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Montserrat, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos;
- Central America: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama;
- North America: Mexico; or
- South America: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela.
- who have obtained Canadian citizenship or who have applied for permanent residency in Canada are not eligible;
- already participating in an exchange scholarship program funded by the Government of Canada are not eligible;
- already enrolled in a degree or diploma program at a Canadian university or college are not eligible; and
- must be enrolled full-time at a post-secondary institution in an eligible country and paying any tuition fees regulated by that institution for the full duration of the exchange.